Anyone who knows us well, knows our family drinks A LOT of tea. I swear to have a tea cure for every aliment. ;) Peppermint tea is a pretty common one for me because it benefits hair, skin, and nails. Another benefit of drinking peppermint tea is easing nausea symptoms. When I was pregnant with my daughter I drank a ton of peppermint tea to help with some of the many complications I was having. If you're not pregnant but you have allergies or digestive issues, organic peppermint is a great choice! I recently started adding tea to my smoothies, and I'm in love with it! This smoothie was one of my first creations and it turned out wonderfully delicious. It has all the health benefits from the tea with a healthy dose of antioxidants from the cacao powder. Besides, you can't go wrong with this flavor combination!
Total time: 20 minutes | Yields: 1 Smoothie
- 8 oz water + 1 organic peppermint tea bag
- handful of ice
- 1/2 cup raw rolled oats
- 2 cup of power greens (spinach, kale, etc)
- 1 small banana
- 1 TBSP raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs or chocolate chips
- Bring 8 oz of water to a near boil. Remove from heat and place peppermint tea bag in the hot water. Let the tea steep for 3-5 minutes, then discard the tea bag. Place brewed tea in the refrigerator to cool for 10 minutes before blending into smoothie.
- Once the tea has cooled to room temperature, blend ice, oats, greens, banana, cacao powder, and brewed tea in a blender until it resembles a smoothie.
- Pour the cacao nibs or chocolate chips into the smoothie and pulse for 10 seconds or until the chocolate chips are broken up into bits for a little crunch. Enjoy!
- I usually drink this smoothie with a serving of nuts or seeds on the side. All of those foods together provide a healthy dose of protein, carbs, and fat to make it the perfect morning snack. The best part is the green tea offers a wonderful boost of energy!