We have been having quite the winter around here in the pacific northwest... Lots of snow, freezing rain, and cold wind storms. When the weather gets that cold it's only natural to snuggle up with a warm mug of hot cocoa. My problem is that we don't drink dairy milk and the added sugars are pretty bad in those packaged cocoa mixes. Even still, I was craving hot cocoa and I was determined to create a nourishing recipe. In case you didn't know, raw cacao is pretty healthy... Drink up! ;)
Maca Root Powder
This is beneficial because it works to balance your hormones without actually containing hormones. Maca is loaded with vitamins and minerals that support the endocrine system and immune system. Maca is high in protein and contains 7 essential amino acids. You'll notice healthier skin, nails, and hair as well as many other benefits.
Raw Cacao Powder
Raw cacao powder promotes healthy skin and is packed with nutrients. It's more commonly known for the high amounts of antioxidants and mood enhancing benefits. It's also great for weight loss and a healthy heart.
- 2 cups unsweetened almond, cashew, or coconut milk (no soy or carrageenan)
- 1 tsp maca root powder
- 2 TBSP raw cacao powder
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 drops of pure vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP raw honey or date paste
- Whisk ingredients together in a small pot over medium low heat. Heat to desired drinking temperature.
- Pour hot cocoa into a mug- sip and enjoy!