You may have noticed we have been in the mood for sweets lately... I'm thinking it has to do with all the stress of buying a new house in this market! The housing market is out of control here in Portland and we are pretty exhausted and discouraged. I know I could munch on junk food all day if I let my emotions choose what to eat. That's when making a healthy smoothie that tastes like cake saves the day! Last week we made healthy strawberry shortcake smoothies to satisfy our sweet tooth, and this week we made these black forest cake smoothies. Both were absolutely delightful and the perfect solution for our desire to crawl into a hole and eat our feelings. ;)
Total time: 5 minutes | Yields: 1 smoothie
- 1 cup frozen dark cherries
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 TBSP cacao
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 scoop of your favorite chocolate protein powder
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1 TBSP non-dairy dark chocolate chips
- Blend all ingredients except the walnuts and chocolate chips in a blender until smooth.
- Add the walnuts and chocolate chips to the blender and pulse a few times to break them into small bits to add a little crunch in your smoothie.