How is it possible that I'm just now sharing this recipe?! It's one of my absolute favorite things to eat... Now that I'm thinking about it, I know why I haven't shared the recipe until today. I eat *way* too much cornbread when I make this recipe. I don't trust myself alone with warm golden cornbread so I only make it a handful of times each year. Who could resist that sweet honey flavor and fluffy texture?
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes | Yields: 12 slices or 12 muffins
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1- 13.5 oz can of coconut milk*
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 TBSP coconut oil, melted (butter is fine too)
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 and grease a 12 inch cast iron skillet or muffin pan.
- Mix cornmeal, salt, and baking powder together in a small bowl- set aside.
- Open the can of coconut milk and dump the contents into a large bowl. Use an electric mixer to whip the coconut milk until the liquid and coconut meat are combined (about 30 seconds). Add the honey, coconut oil, and egg, then us the electric mixer again to whip every together (about 30 seconds).
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the greased skillet or muffin pan (filling 3/4th the way full) and place in the oven. Bake for 25- 30 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes or so before cutting and serving.
- Must use coconut milk from a can not a carton.
- I whipped butter and honey together to serve with this cornbread- amazing!