I celebrate taco tuesday as if it were my birthday. Tacos are probably my favorite food and I'm always trying new ways to consume them. Whether we are making fish tacos, chicken tacos, or pulled pork, we always try to make them as authentic as possible. This recipe is full of traditional flavors and it's totally versatile! This chicken would be great for enchiladas, nachos, burritos, fiesta salads, or simply used for tacos.
Prep time: 10-20 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes | Serves: 4- 6
- 1 cup chicken bone broth
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 TBSP ground cumin
- Juice from one lime
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded & diced
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded & diced
- 1 lb tomatillos, husked & quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Corn tortillas
- optional toppings: guacamole, fresh cilantro, shredded red cabbage, plain greek yogurt or sour cream, cotija cheese, etc.
- Lightly grease crock pot with coconut oil. Set temperature to low.
- Pour one cup of chicken stock into the crock pot. Add salt, pepper, cumin, and lime juice. Next, add the chicken breasts to the crock pot.
- Chop the onion, dice the garlic, remove the seeds from the peppers then dice them. Add chopped/diced ingredients to the crock pot.
- Next, remove the husks from the tomatillos and scrub clean. Cut into quarters then place in the crock pot.
- Put the lid on the crock pot and let cook for 4 hours on low.
- Turn the crock pot off after 4 hours. Remove the chicken and place in a large bowl. Leave the liquid and peppers in the crock pot until the next step. Use two forks to pull the chicken breasts apart making shredded chicken taco meat. They should shred apart easily. Set pulled chicken aside.
- Pour the liquid and ingredients from the crock pot into a blender. Blend until it resembles salsa. Pour the salsa into the bowl of chicken and mix together.
- Fill each tortilla with chicken and garnish with cheese, avocado, sour cream, etc. Enjoy!