Henry wanted to make gingerbread cookies and Matilda wanted to make sugar cookies, so I came up with this! Both kids were happy and we ended up with a recipe that we will definitely make again. I'm not really sure what to name these? They are a cross between snicker doodles, gingerbread cookies, and sugar cookies... Spiced Sugar Doodles? Hmm.. I don't know about that! Luckily I'm more creative in the kitchen than I am with naming things!
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 12 minutes | Total time: 27 minutes | Yields: 28 cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 & 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP turbinado sugar or other coarse sugar + 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, egg, molasses, vanilla extract and sugar together.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, ginger, all spice, cloves, nutmeg, baking powder and salt together.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Mix turbinado sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl to make the sugar and spice coating.
- Scoop out one spoonful of dough at a time and lightly roll in the sugar and spice mixture. Place the dough balls on an ungreased cookie sheet. Put the cookies in the oven to bake for 12 minutes.
- After 12 minutes, remove cookies from the oven and put on a cooling rack. Sprinkle additional coarse sugar on top and let cool before eating. -Enjoy!