Life has been so crazy and busy lately. Brian has been traveling a lot for work, the kitchen is under construction, I've been busy with work, and the kids are energetic as always. Cooking our own meals seems like the biggest challenge right now. It is always our priority, but it's difficult when you don't have access to a kitchen and life is hectic. Thankfully, our families live close and we have been cooking meals at their houses. Our chickens have been laying around 6 eggs a day and I had a stash of over 50 eggs! I drove to my parents house just to use their stove to hard boil the eggs. It relieved so much stress just to have an easy protein source ready to eat all week!
Not only did I haul the kids and a basket of eggs over to my parents house, I also brought a lemon and some chicken. I knew I didn't have a lot of time and I wanted something fresh and easy. With some simple seasoning and a few slices of lemon, you will get exactly that: a fresh & easy meal! Seriously, what's fresher than lemon? We made a quick 15 minute side dish to go with this and it was delightful! I'm excited for more elaborate meals when life calms down a bit... For now, simple cooking is our best friend!
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total: 30 minutes | Serves: 4
- 3 TBSP butter, melted
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp basil or thyme (pick one*)
- 4 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat oven to 400
- Pour melted butter, minced garlic, parsley, basil, and squeeze the juice from 1/2 a lemon directly into your baking dish. Set the baking dish aside. Slice the the entire lemon after juicing.
- Use a mallet to pound down the chicken to 1/2 inch thickness. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a large skillet with a drizzle of EVOO and turn to medium high heat. Sear the chicken for 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and place in the baking dish with the lemon-garlic butter. Brush the chicken with the lemon-garlic butter until the chicken is evenly coated. Put the lemon slices on top of the chicken breasts and place the baking dish in the oven for 10 minutes.
- After cooking for 10 minutes, remove the baking dish and flip the chicken. Put the chicken back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for a few minutes before serving. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top if desired. Enjoy!
- Spices/herbs: I have found this lemon chicken to taste great with basil OR thyme, but I wouldn't use both. I have also left the basil and thyme out completely and just used the parsley and 1 tsp red pepper flakes. I think any herb would pair well with this dish (rosemary, basil, thyme, etc).
- Find the brussels sprouts recipe as seen in the pictures here.