My kids have been asking for ice cream a lot lately since it's been getting warmer outside. I wanted to try making our edible cookie dough into ice cream sandwiches and the kids were totally on board. This recipe is super easy to make and it's fun for the kids. The hard part is waiting for the cookie dough to freeze! We just wanted to eat the dough right away but we settled for licking the spoon. ;)
Prep time: 5- 10 minutes | Time to set: 24 hours | Total time: 24 hours 10 minutes | Yields: 6 ice cream sandwiches
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup or honey
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cashew or almond butter
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or date sugar
- 1- 3 TBSP unsweetened non dairy milk
- 1 cup gluten free oat or almond flour
- 1 cup cacao nibs or dark chocolate chips
- 6 scoops of non-dairy (soy free) ice cream
- Mix syrup, vanilla extract, cashew butter, salt, sugar, and one tablespoon of milk together in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and cacao nibs together.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Add more milk if it's too crumbly.
Scoop out the dough and place 12 spoonfuls on a piece of wax paper on a cookie sheet. Flatten with the back of the spoon to make "cookies." Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours to set.
- After the cookie dough has set in the freezer, use a flat metal serving utensil to remove two cookie dough patties.
- Add one scoop of ice cream on top of one of the cookie dough patties then close like a sandwich with the other patty.