Every Monday I spend a few hours meal planning, prep cooking, and getting as much ready for the week as possible. I refer to this as Messy Kitchen Monday instead of meal prep Monday:) Despite the messy name, it actually does save a lot of time and my kitchen is a disaster ONE time rather than every single evening. Breakfast is one of the things I make ahead and is probably the most important meal to have prepared. This week I threw oats in the crock pot and the spices I use to make gingerbread cookies. This recipe yields a big batch of healthy steel cut oats that feeds our family of 4 (plus the baby I'm working on) all week long. How convenient is that?!
- 8 C liquids (we use 4 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk + 4 C water)
- 4 oz unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 C molasses
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 C. steel cut oats
- Lightly grease the crock pot with cooking spray or coconut oil.
- Add all ingredients and cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove the lid and stir, stir, stir. Once ingredients are evenly combined, pour oatmeal into individual containers if meal prepping or serve warm if eating!
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Garnish oatmeal with chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds or enjoy as is!