Considering this tastes just like cake batter, this recipe really isn't *that* unhealthy. The trick to making this oatmeal taste like cake batter without the guilt is using Bob's Red Mill's Cake Mix (they use real ingredients). This isn't a super-food breakfast by any means, but every now and then it's totally acceptable to eat cake oatmeal for breakfast if you ask me!
Brian and Matilda love all things birthday cake flavored and I like to find ways to make lightened up treats for them. This is Matilda's birthday week (can't believe our baby girl will be four!) so naturally I had to make her favorite oatmeal. This recipe is awesome for families because you toss everything in the crock pot and it yields enough oatmeal for everyone to eat all week!
- 8 cups unsweetened vanilla non-dairy milk (we use a cashew/almond blend)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 scoop collagen peptides
- Sprinkles to garnish- optional
- Lightly grease your crock pot with coconut oil, butter, or cooking spray (whichever non-stick greasing method you like to use)
- Add all ingredients to the crock pot and stir together so that there are no clumps of cake mix.
- Place the lid on the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove lid after 8 hours, give everything a good stir, then top with sprinkles. Enjoy!