This recipe is perfect for quick weekday dinners or make ahead lunches. All you need is 30 minutes and one skillet to make these delicious asian chicken lettuce wraps! I like to make this on Monday and reheat it for lunch during the week. Most of the time I wrap it in romaine lettuce, but I also eat it stuffed in a bell pepper or on top of a heaping pile of fresh spinach. I love that it yields enough filling to feed the whole family for dinner too!
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10- 15 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes | Serves: 4
- Coconut oil
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 3 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 2- 3 TBSP coconut aminos (could use soy sauce if not following a paleo diet)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 8 oz water chestnuts, diced
- 3- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 TBSP sesame seeds, optional
- 1 bag of romaine (whole) or a head of butter leaf lettuce
- Heat a small spoonful of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add diced carrots, mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and ginger. Saute ingredients for about 5- 7 minutes or until onions are translucent and veggies are tender.
- Add the ground chicken to the skillet and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes breaking it up into small pieces as it browns.
- Finally, stir coconut aminos, sesame oil, vinegar, hot sauce, and water chestnut into the ingredients in the skillet. Remove skillet from heat and sprinkle chopped green onions and sesame seeds on top.
- Scoop two big spoonfuls of the filling into a piece of lettuce. Add more hot sauce if desired or eat as is- Enjoy!