Unfortunately, it's snowing here but that's not going to stop me from enjoying asparagus season! I'm not sure asparagus season has technically started, but asparagus is on sale at our local grocery store and that's good enough for me! This salad is the essence of spring. It has lots of seasonal veggies and a simple lemon dressing. The fresh basil adds a sweet surprise too! It takes about 15 minutes to toss together and is sure to stand out with all those colors. This refreshing salad will definitely be one of your favorites this spring and summer.
Follow Us on Pinterest & Instagram!
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 5- 10 minutes | Total time: 15- 20 minutes | Serves: 2-4 (depending on if this is a main dish or side)
- 1 bunch of thin asparagus spears, (cut in half lengthwise after you roast them if they are thick spears)
- 1 shallot bulb, thinly sliced
- Zest from 1/2 a lemon
- Juice from 1 lemon (2- 3 TBSP)
- Olive oil (2- 4 TBSP)
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, made into ribbons with a vegetable peeler (use cucumber if you don't like raw zucchini)
- 1 cup peas
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, cut into cubes or slices
- 4 hard boiled eggs, pealed & cut in half
- 4 oz shaved parmesan cheese
- Place asparagus on a sheet pan and lightly coat with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast for 5- 10 minutes (depending on thickness of the spears) on 375. You want the asparagus to be barely tender, not limp. Set them aside to cool. While the asparagus is roasting, make the lemon and olive oil dressing.
- Thinly slice one shallot bulb and place in a small bowl. Zest half a lemon in the bowl, then squeeze the juice from the whole lemon. You should get 2- 4 tablespoons of juice from one lemon. Add the olive oil depending on your taste. I like my dressing to be more tart so I add about 1- 2 tablespoons of olive oil. You can always add more, so start with just 1 tablespoon and add if needed.
- In a large bowl, gently toss and coat roasted asparagus, mixed greens, chopped basil, zucchini ribbons, peas, and sliced radishes in the lemon dressing, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the salad on a large platter to make it pretty or just leave it in the bowl.
- Place avocado and eggs on the salad and sprinkle shaved parmesan all over the top.