There's just something about spring that makes me want to put lemon in everything! I'm obsessed with our simple broccoli pasta salad and our spring goddess salad. Both recipes have vibrant colors, tons of fresh lemon, and use the best ingredients of the season. Lemon poppy seed muffins are another thing I just have to bake every spring or summer. Ironically, I've been craving these muffins (thanks, baby bump) and decided it was time to make a big batch! Oh goodness, these were exactly what I wanted! They are super soft, fluffy, and absolutely full of lemon. YUM.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Bake time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes | Yields: 12 muffins
- 2 TBSP lemon zest
- Juice from 2 lemons (should get around 6- 8 TBSP)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup full fat plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp almond extract (vanilla works too, but I prefer almond)
- 1 cup granulated sugar of choice
- 1 stick of butter, room temperature.
- 2 cups AP flour
- 2 TBSP poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, cream together lemon zest, juice, eggs, yogurt, almond extract, sugar, and butter.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, poppy seeds, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredient until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Grease a muffin baking pan. Scoop batter evenly into each space until you run out of batter.
- Place muffin pan in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry and the muffins are slightly golden.
- Let cool- enjoy!