Why has it taken me so long to share a carnitas recipe?! This is one of our favorite things to eat because the recipe is versatile, healthy, and I love that it's made in the crock pot. Eat it on top of baked sweet potatoes, in burrito bowls, or simply make authentic tacos with it. This recipe is easy enough for beginners and uses real ingredients that come together to make the most flavorful and tender pulled pork. You'll definitely want to add this one to the meal rotation!
A lot of people have been asking about the baby since we are expecting this little sprout in just 20- something days! We had a doctor appointment earlier today and everything is looking terrific. Baby has a strong heartbeat and is just as active as ever. The baby is head down and in position. Brian set up the rocking chair last night which means the nursery is DONE! Well, the walls are looking a little bare, but I'm not sure what I want to do for wall art yet. The only things left on the list are installing the infant car seat and packing our bags!! HOLY COW, writing that is kind of terrifying! Eeek!
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 8 hours | Total time: 8 hours 15 minutes | Serves: 4- 6
Autoimmune-Protocol Version (AIP)
- 1 TBSP orange zest
- Juice from 1 large orange
- Zest from 1 lime
- Juice from 2- 3 limes (3 if the limes are small, 2 if they are large)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 lbs pork shoulder or butt
Add these ingredients as well if you're not following a strict AIP diet:
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Avocado, diced, optional
- Red onion, diced, optional
- Lightly grease the crock pot with coconut oil.
- Zest 1 TBSP of the orange peel and squeeze the juice from the entire orange into the crock pot. Zest 1 whole lime then squeeze the juice from 2- 3 limes into the crock pot.
- Add minced garlic and chopped onion.
- Season both sides of the pork with salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, and coriander. Place pork in the crock pot on low heat for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove the pork from the crock pot and place in a large dish. Shred the meat apart with a fork (it should fall apart easily). There will be juices, onions, and fat left in the crock pot after you take the pork out. Strain it and add the liquid to the shredded pork.
- Scoop pulled pork on top of baked sweet potatoes and garnish with fresh cilantro, red onion, and/or diced avocado.
How to bake sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425
- Wash, scrub, and dry potatoes.
- Stab small holes in the sweet potatoes using a fork.
- Wrap each potato in foil then place in the preheated oven. Bake for 30-45 minutes depending on size.
- Remove when a fork inserts easily into the center of the potatoes.