A few months ago I teamed up with my gal pal and business boo Whitney Carlson from He And She Eat Clean to create a healthy e-cookbook for babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and the whole family. I think it comes across as just a homemade baby food cookbook, but there is SO much more to it! The book begins with baby food recipes and a schedule for introducing foods to your baby, but the rest of the book contains tons of family-approved recipes like homemade chicken nuggets, pesto pasta salad, tuna salad, and this spaghetti sauce! I have been making this sauce for years and it's one of the easiest ways to get my kiddos to eat lots of protein and a variety of veggies in the same meal.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 6- 8 hours | Total time: 8 hours 10 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1 small yellow onion
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded & diced
- 2 carrot sticks, peeled & diced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 3 cups no salt or sugar added tomato sauce
- 3 TBSP Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1- 2 TBSP tomato paste- if needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly grease the crock pot with EVOO or coconut oil.
- Dice the onion and garlic then place in a large skillet. Add the sausage and beef. Brown the meat over medium heat, breaking it into small chunks as you go.
- Once the meat is brown and the onions and garlic are translucent, scoop out of the sauce pan and place in the crock pot. Turn the heat to low.
- Cut the jalapeno in half and discard the seeds. Peel the carrots. Dice the jalapeno, carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms then place in the crockpot.
- Pour the tomato sauce, italian seasoing, garlic powder, and onion powder in the crock pot. Put the lid on and let cook for 6 - 8 hours on low.
- When you're ready to serve, remove the lid and add a few handfulls of spinach, kale, chard, or any greens you'd like. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of tomato paste if the sauce is too runny. You can also remove the lid 30 minutes to an hour before serving to thicken the sauce.
Directions for spaghetti squash:
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, remove the seeds.
- Place the squash on a lightly greased cookie sheet flesh side down (skin side facing up).
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Use a fork to rake the inside of the squash away from the skins.
- Pour desired amount of spaghetti sauce on top of squash "noodles"-- Enjoy!