If you were to come over to our house for dinner during the spring and summer, chances are I'd have this salad prepared. Why is this my go-to summer salad? It only takes a few minutes to make and is full of flavor! The vinaigrette is light and can easily be made ahead of time if you're making this salad for a family dinner or party. The best part is this salad has tons of protein, healthy fats, and powerful antioxidants! I can never resist a salad with simple ingredients AND vibrant colors and bold flavors!
- 5 oz fresh spinach
- 1 pint of strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped almonds
- 1 shallot or 1/2 a red onion, diced
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 large avocado, thinly sliced
Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
- 2- 3 TBSP Honey
- 1/3 cup EVOO or avocado oil
- 2- 3 TBSP Apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP Poppy seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the dressing by adding 2 TBSP of honey, 1/3 cup oil, 2 TBSP of vinegar, poppy seeds, salt, and pepper to a small container. Shake well to mix together then taste the vinaigrette. Adjust your vinegar to honey ratio based on your preferences. Add more vinegar if you want it tangier or more honey if you prefer it sweeter. Shake well after you add more honey and/or vinegar, then taste it again. It's a simple vinaigrette with mild flavors, so don't worry if you find the dressing a little underwhelming. It will taste amazing when combined with the strawberries and shallot!
- Now that your vinaigrette is ready, begin building the salad! Place washed spinach in a large salad bowl. Slice the strawberries, chop the almonds, and dice the shallot. Place those ingredients on top of the bed of spinach.
- Add crumbled feta to the top of the salad. Cut the avocado in half lengthwise, discard the pit, then cut into thin slices. Scoop avocado meat out of with a spoon and place on top of the spinach. Discard the skin.
- Give the poppy seed vinaigrette another good shake and pour over the entire salad. Toss everything together or serve with the ingredients nicely seperated on top of the bed of spinach. Enjoy!